Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I Have Delicious Garbage

My kitchen is being taken over by ants! It is completely gross and I want to share with you its grossness. You are welcome!

So, a few weeks ago, I had some plumbing problems. Eventually I learned that we had some major nasty clogging action in the pipes where they connect to the city sewer system. Prior to learning that, I ended up replacing some of the pieces under the sink due to damaging the old ones when taking them apart to find the problem. After getting everything back together, I thought everything was good. Wrong. The new pipe pieces were fine, but then, all of a sudden, water began dripping from the garbage disposal. So, I haven't used the garbage disposal, or that side of the sink, OR the dishwasher (because it drains through the garbage disposal), since then.

I'm sure you are thinking 'Geez, get to the point'. I am. I promise. The worst part of all of it is that my landlord was in Europe for the month. (He actually just got back yesterday, and, of course, I forgot to tell him about all this.) Since I can't use the garbage disposal, that means any extra foody crap we aren't eating gets put in the trash can. I'm afraid if I throw it outside, it will attract larger pests such as stray dogs, cats, raccoons, stray goats, etc.

The ants are privvy to my situation. First they started coming in through the small crack around the window trim. I caulked that shut. Then they managed to come in through the hole where the electrical outlet is. I caulked that shut too. (Normally I wouldn't because being unable to remove an outlet cover is irritating, but so is an invading ant army.) Once that was sealed shut, they started coming in through a tiny spot on the floor where the linoleum is ripped. AAH!

So, since they are on the floor, they found their way to the trash can. It isn't FULL of left over food by any means. It is just the kids and I here, so I don't generally have a lot of leftovers, and when I do, they get put in the fridge. The only thing that is in there are the little bits that are left on our plates when we are done that happen to be too big to fit down the drain. Apparently that is enough for the ants to feast.

I have discovered that spraying ants with glass cleaner kills them instantly. They basically melt. YEA! It does nothing for repelling future ant invaders, though. BOO! I have also discovered that ants wake up around 8:00am. When I get up in the morning, there are no ants in the kitchen. When I go back in a little bit later, I find a black trail. UGH! I know I could spray around the house, but with all the rain we've had, I think it would be pointless. So, I guess I am just waiting it out. Hopefully winter will freeze them. Freeze them outside, preferrably. I have put a few ant bait trap things out. They just walk around it. I guess they would rather have buttered pasta and pizza crust. I mean, I can't blame them.

So I realize this post is gross and pretty pointless. I just wanted to share with the world my current problem. I know you care. I am really hoping that those attending my daughter's birthday party this weekend don't read this. At least, before the party anyway. I plan to make her cake and I am double crossing my fingers that the ants don't eat it before we do. I don't plan to put it in or near the trash can, so, in theory, we're good!

GROSS!

No comments:

Post a Comment